Christmas is here, so now is the time to prepare your garden and patio for Xmas visits from family and friends. These quick and easy ideas will help make the great outdoors look just as fabulous as the sparkly indoors for the festive season.
Firstly, invest in some solar lights to string around the patio area, and if you have trees or shrubs in your garden, some solar lights draped over them will look lovely. Red and white decorations will add to the festive spirit so add red and white ribbons around patio containers, with a variety of scented candles on tables. Maybe even a Xmas tree with decorations!
Plant white flowers near the entertainment area; Iceberg roses, a constant bloomer and vigorous grower, Gardenias, one of the most fragrant, shade-loving plants with glossy evergreen foliage. White flowering Agapanthus, Erijon Karinskianthus, white Begonias, white Cosmos and the gorgeous New Guinea Impatiens.
Fill dull corners with Day lilies, Guaras, Shanta daisies, Salvias, Cannas, Alstroemerias and the delightfully scented lavender.
And finally, if you have a water feature, some floating candles will look very effective on the surface of the water.
All the effort will be well worth it! Good company, lovely surroundings, what’s not to like!
Relax and enjoy your Xmas! From all of us at Village Gardens, Merry Christmas
Other fun decorating ideas
- Fill any empty containers with wonderful foliage. Empty urns or larger terracotta pots can be filled with cut stems of colourful flowers or even a potted ‘Christmas tree’.
- Put strings of white lights in jars on the patio to add a sense of Christmas glow.
- Decorate a tree in the garden with bird feeder baubles. Cut and hollow half an orange and fill it with a mixture of fat and seeds as a colourful Christmas treat for our feathered friends.
- Solar fairy lights are a must for your garden. Use them near your front door to welcome visitors.
- Don’t forget to mix in some fresh-cut greenery with your decor. Try going natural with wreaths and garlands. Though not aromatic, poinsettias also look beautiful.
- For a finishing touch, add a festive doormat. It’s one of the easiest changes to update your space
for the season.
- To put an updated spin on candy canes, consider wrapping poles in natural burlap for a textural touch, then punch the overall look up with red coloured ribbon.
With courtesy from Village Gardens | Tracey: 071 686 0472 | www.villagegardens.co.za